Bid farewell to Jiun and continued searching for the LSE hostel. I was determined to get it right this time. Before I embarked on this important mission, I had an apple pastry from Sainsbury's ( their version of NTUC). Cheap cheap 55 pence only.
Guess what I have been on the right track this whole time. Only that Mr Policeman directed me to a turn which led me to Covent Gardens instead of my hostel. If only I didn't ask for help and continued walking straight, I would have found it the first time round. As we say, yue bang yue mang. TSK!
Having visted Tate Britain, I shall visit the sister gallery Tate Modern. From St Paul's station, I crossed the Millenium Bridge to get to Tate Modern, the building that looks like a powerhouse with a tall chimney. Some paintings that I remember: Picasso's Three Dancers, Francis Bacon's second version of Triptych, Magritte's Reckless Sleeper and Roy Lichtenstein's Whaam!
I will never forget Francis Bacon's Triptych. First saw it at Tate Britain. That was the 1944 piece. This one at Tate Modern is the second version painted 1988. When I first saw it at Tate Britain, it caught my eye. I like it because it was gruesomely disturbing. When I saw it again at Tate Modern, I could hardly believe I am seeing it again at Modern. When the curator guide told us it was the second version, I acknowledged it with a small nod, feeling damn proud that I have seen the first piece.
Curator was sharp enough to see my smug look and asked me in front of at least ten other visitors what was the difference between the two piece. SHIT.
I mumbled that the new piece has more vibrant red colour tones than the first one which is more brown and orangy. She agreed with me. Phew... I almost disgraced my country. Lesson learn: be smart but dun act smart.
After Tate Modern, I decided to take a cruise down River Thames to draw an end to my London trip. Tate provides boat services between Modern and Britain. 2.85 pounds only. Cheap cheap.I was told that tickets could be bought on board so I set off happily. A lady came on board to sell the tickets after the first stopover. Wanting to try my luck again, I did not approach her to get the tickets. Worse come to worse, I buy when she catches me, pretending that I din understand her.
Luck was surely on my side that day. No one bothered me and I left the boat without getting caught! One free boat ride earned!!! Whee...
Met bird again at Bayswater for lunch with her friends. Had roast duck and a lovely spread of Cantonese fare. Slurp!!!
After lunch, we left our bags at Victoria Station and chilled out the rest of the afternoon at Yauatcha, Broadwick Street near Oxford Circus. Our evening was spent watching the musical Wicked.

Sets and lightings were superb! Very very impressed by the lighting effects and the story I must say is really entertaining. Ask anyone who has watch this musical, I bet you they will give it a 5/5. A must watch for everyone!!!
This is the night we are leaving London for Berlin. Left on a coach to Stansted Airport to spent the night. Brrr.... more on that in the next episode!

No comments:
Post a Comment