Breakfast was on-the-go at Tottenham Court Road. Had a pasty, like our curry puff with chicken pie filling. Extremely big even though I ordered a small. I skipped my train fare again and pulled it off with a stroke of luck. My bag was almost clamped by the gantry and I would have to face a hefty fine and national disgrace if I didn't swiftly flee the scene. Phew. But it was fun la.
Walked down Holborn in search of Weiwei's hostel. He has kindly agreed to let me use his room when I return from Amsterdam for a night! Without an exact address, I really couldn't find that place ( not that it will help very much, as you will find out later). I appproach Mr Policeman for help. He took out his pocket London map and couldnt find the LSE hostel. In fact, he doesn't seem to quite know that there is a LSE hostel in the vicinity. Hell...
Found myself back at Covent Gardens again, which wasn't a bad thing. My favourite place remember? Revisited some shops and resisted the urge to buy David and Goliath tees. Argh.
My feet start to hurt really bad because of the blisters. I hobbled ( like I have a shorter leg) my way across the Waterloo bridge to get a closer look at the London Eye. We are going have our very own Ferris Wheel at Marina soon, joining the other three at London, Tokyo, and Malaysia. How cool. Hur.

My feet could not long take it anymore. Took the train to London Bridge to get tickets at the Shakespeare Globe Theatre. Dropped by Borough Market and bought a burger for lunch. Slurp. It's amazing how London executives spend their lunch hour. A whole bunch of them crowded the pub at Borough Market, standing outside with a mug of beer happily chatting. Non-alcoholics will be armed with sandwiches and burger, standing at some random corner munching. Quite pathetic I will say. No Chap Chye Png or Fishball noodles. No foodcourt with aircon. No seats to chop with tissue paper. They dunno what they are missing. Really. Hur.

It started to get a but embarassing airing my feet in the public so I decided to get moving. Took the train to Pimlico to visit Tate Britain, top left corner. Impressive collection of art they have there. Not in the mood to really enjoy and take notes because half the time I am trying to balance myself on my battered feet. Hobbled down Millbank after that to see the House of Parliament, Palace of Westminster and Tower Clock.
Tate Britain, Lambeth Bridge, House of Parliament, Palace of Westminster
Tower ClockTrain brought me to Tower Hill and I braved the pain to walk on the cobblestones. How can I miss the Tower Bridge??? Was well worth it.
The City Hall on the southern end of the Tower Bridge boasts of London's modern architecture. Shaped like a misshapped egg, it is designed by Norman Foster, superstar architect who also designed the Swiss Re ska Gherkin aka Penis, Reichstag in Berlin and our very own Expo MRT Station. He is like the modern day Wren, who designed most of the olden day landmarks in London and many parts of the world.
And there was also HMS Belfast, Golden Hinge, Hay's Galleria, Southwark Cathedral along the southern bank of Thames.
I watched Shakespears's Othello at his very own Globe Theatre. Can't catch what the actors are saying but can roughly tell the story. It is amazing I stayed awake throughout the three hour play. My bum hurt because seats replicate the olden days---right angled wooden seats and nothing else. Open air concept means cold wind when night falls. Nevertheless, it was a good theatrical experience.
By curtain call , it was already 10pm. Sky was dark and I took my first ever nightshot in London. You would have realised that I dun have any nightshots before this. That is because I am scared of the dark. Really. Who knows what is lurking at the dark corners of London street?
Being a smart aleck, I tried to be adventurous and searched for the Southwark station to bring me back to Jiun's place. It was dark and the street was not well lit. Even in the day, I would have to follow closely to my map. And so, I was lost. But luckily not too far away from the theatre. I approached this family of four to ask for directions but they didn't know the way. ( London is so big you see). Feeling scared and lonely, I caught a glimpse of this group of people rushing along. Gut feeling tells me they are rushing for the train station. I joined in and finally caught up with them. To play safe, I asked one of the girls if they are heading towards the station and bingo, I am on the right track! Successfully reached Southwark and took the Jubilee Line back to Canary Wharf.
Being a smart aleck, I tried to be adventurous and searched for the Southwark station to bring me back to Jiun's place. It was dark and the street was not well lit. Even in the day, I would have to follow closely to my map. And so, I was lost. But luckily not too far away from the theatre. I approached this family of four to ask for directions but they didn't know the way. ( London is so big you see). Feeling scared and lonely, I caught a glimpse of this group of people rushing along. Gut feeling tells me they are rushing for the train station. I joined in and finally caught up with them. To play safe, I asked one of the girls if they are heading towards the station and bingo, I am on the right track! Successfully reached Southwark and took the Jubilee Line back to Canary Wharf.
DLR took me back to Westferry and there was just one more challenge before I reach home. My first time walking back to Jiun's house alone. Not sure if my memory will fail me, I hurried along trying to remember the way. I crossed a junction and suddenly this girl form across the road yelled at me. I froze in step, praying hard that she wun hurt me.
She asked if I had a mobile phone with me. She wanted to call her boyfriend for help. Not that I have no sympathy, but that girl is so big-sized and strong, she dint look like she was in much distress. I wasted no time to tell her I do not have a phone, in a very Chinese accent, and fled the scene.
Jiun's place is safe and peaceful but the road leading to her house is really dark and quiet. I would have to walk pass a communal housing district, where there is a fat lazy cat waiting everytime I walk pass. It freaks me out all the time, thinking how it will pounce on me and eat my flesh.
When I reach her apartment it was close to 12 am. She was already in bed. So sorry my dear!!!
There goes my opportunity to machine wash my clothes. I will just have to bear with it for the next 10 days while I travel around Europe!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment