Have you ever tried writing emails in pencil? Or doing a voice mail in pencil?
I did at least 5 of such silly things today.
With all hopes and dreams, I attended my final round of interview/assessment at their Collyer Quay HQ today. Boy, it was such a torture. But I survived! Even though in my opinion, I screwed up and I feel that chances that they will take me is close to 10%.
This was how it went for me:
8.00 pm
Left home in a fluster. Realised that I spent too much time with my make-up. So gonna be late AGAIN. Lesson learnt: make up in the car if you have to.
8.30pm
Officially late for my final round. Caught up somewhere near kallang in a bloody jam. Heart beats faster and faster. But there is nothing I can do.
8.40pm
Finally we are at Collyer Quay. But alas, I forgot to warn dad about the turn and we missed it. The only way to get back was to endure in the jam to get further down adn take a U turn. No way, I am already condemned. I must get there to save whatever is left of me. Alighted at change alley to realise that it is CLOSED. I stared blankly at the traffic. Was deciding whether I should cut across the traffic. Must be out of my mind. Followed the crowd to One Fullerton to take the underpass travellator. Too slow too crowded, so I ran. In my heels and tight wool pants and jacket. I ran for my life. Entered the building and caught up with the human jam at the lift lobby. Got into the lift and stopped at every alternate floors. I cursed everyone who alighted before me.
8.45pm
Entered the room for briefing. Everyone was seated and the presentor had already begun. She assured me that they had just started but I could just feel the snigger in everyone's face, " She is out of the competition". I know. I am finished. Wondered if I should just leave and go home. Save myself and the rest the trouble.
9.00am
Had my first activity--- The INTERVIEW. I waited for my interviewer for 10 minutes. I thought I was in the wrong room. ( we had to navigate ourselves and follow the timings strictly, as part of the assessment) I checked at least 5 times. Wondered if they purposely come in late to punish me for my bad time management. Finally Indian came in. First thimg he say:" It's very early in the morning, don't you think so?" Was that a mockery? Was he trying to lure me into explaining why I am late? I gave a nervous smile and greeted him. Interview proceeded after which. The usual questions to demonstrate leadership, team work, ability to prioritise, handle failure, etc. Did OK I guessed. He didn't seem too impressed though. And when I asked him to repeat some of the questions he didn't seem happy. He repeated his questions in a slurred, irrtated and exaggerated manner. Obviously playing with me. Pissed. At the end of the interview, he asked. " So did I stress you out?" I said no. The truth, yes at some point in time when he asked questions that I felt I have already answered. And also when he tried to "play" with me. Somehow we ended our interview talking about how everyone takes parents for granted. Hah! I led him into this one.
10.15am
Received the case background. Some Macau Airport Carrier Handling Company. Loads of info to be digested in 45 minutes. Panicked as usual coz I am a slow reader. Can never do this sort of pressure reading.
11.00am
HR came in to give us our second activity. Boss presentation. We have an hour to plan for a presentation on the feasibility of a project. No powerpoints just flipcharts. My first ever flipchart. The marker was smelly and the paper was too big for comfort. I still like powerpoint better.
12.00pm
Headed to the meeting room by myself. No HR to escort as usual. No reminder of the time also. They wanted to know if we can manage our time well. I was the first to leave for the meeting. Yeah! Small victory but I sure made me feel happier. Things seem to be turning out for the better. Found the room but noone was inside. I was early so nevermind. Looked high and low for the flipchart holder. Cannot find!!! Looked again, realised it was hidden behind the whiteboard. unscewed the bolts and fixed my flipcharts up. Looked pro. Was happy. Then came "boss". Anthony!!! Friendly old man. He doesn't bite. I presented my case well though some figures I calculated could have been more in depth. No time ma. He said very good at the end though. I prefer to think that he was honest. Left the room happy as can be.
12.30pm
Second activity. External meeting with " competitor" played by another assessor. Half an hour to prepare my stuff to negotiate and strike a consensus on some deal. Another mad rush. I suck at negotiation. This time, I will be slaughtered. But I will still have to go ahead with it.
1.00pm
Arrive at the meeting room. No one inside again. Waited and waited for 10 minutes. Was actually rather happy my assessor came in late. Then I wouldn't have to say too much. I must plan my time well and leave the room by 1.20pm. A memo needs to be written within 10 minutes after the meeting to let boss know the outcome. My assesor was Cynthia. My first interviewer whom I met a month ago. she was very kind to me. She led me to talk about things that were important. Didn't give me a hard time by trying to be difficult. But I still suck at the negotiating part. Overall I acheived some deliverables but failed to present myself strong enough for the negotiation. Argh... screwed up la.
1.30 pm
LUNCH. Had some tuna and sambal bread, fruit salad, orange juice. Their treat. So far I have had three meals on them. All have been good and expensive. Equinox, Tower club and high class dabao lunch. Too nice to us liao la. How to not love them? Hope they love me deep deep... Haiz..talked to my fellow candidates. Realised I am the only NTU student among the eight of us. 2 from NUS, 1 from New York, the rest from you know where. They are catching up so fast its scary. Found out from Indian Girl that Miss A was her fren! Can you believe it!! (refer to previous blog). Miss A din get in, contrary to my belief that she has the face and the brains to be an MA. They said she didn't showcase enough leadership. Another lovable thing about them, is that regardless of whether you were selected, they will call you and give you an evaluation on your performance, what you lack and areas of improvement. So professional. Again, how to not love them?
2.30pm
End of lunch. Start of Hell. Intray exercise began. We were given stacks of emails on paper, voicemail transcribed on paper, fax, memorandums, letters, altogther 18 of them. We were to complete 3 tasks.
Task 1: Organise the 18 items into categories. For each item prioritise in terms of High, Medium, Low. 20 minutes on this section.
Task 2: From the categories, choose 3 that are of top priority and respond to it, giving justification and decisions. List down items that are relevant to these three. Respond to the items but means of writing responses down on paper. Eg. If this task requires the attention of your staff and you decide to email them, write the email down in the " email forms" if you are calling the person, assume you are on voicemail, write down exactly what you will say. Spend no more than 60 minutes on this section.
Task 3: One of the item is a memo by the regional boss asking for inputs on new business plan. Relevant information is appended and we have to draft out a memo for him ( 1-2 pages) on our business plan. Once again, many readings to be done in high speed. Damn...
All has to be completed in 2hours.
I almost died by 4.45pm
5.00pm
Group Discussion. Just when I thought that I don't have to speed read, they threw me another set fo readings to facilitate the group discussion. Pretend we are all regional managers coming together to form a task force for a bidding project. Aim is to sell our proposal. Discussion was sloppy and lack direction. Some people were trying to lead the conversation. Others occassionally pop in with stunners. Everyone tried their best to impress our assessors who were seated in a circle surrounding us. Felt like some polar bear in the enclosure. I felt that the direction of the discussion was heading in the wrong way. We were not marketing our proposal to the liking of our client. We were merely stating what the company was strong at and arguing form our own perspective. How to sell?! Tried to tell them but they don't listen, what to do? Insist and I will be outcast. Follow and I feel meek and useless. I hate it. Spelt out how I feel in the evaluation form. We were asked to rank our group mates. Dunno why they specifically ask for the reason why number 6 was ranked number 6. Someone please enlighten me on this.
6.00pm
Left the building and met up with Gary to celebrate freedom and welcome audit into my life.
Overall, I did well in some areas but screwed up the rest. Hated myself for being late. Been late three times for their interviews liao. If I don't get it, I deserve it. Anyway, its finally over, glad I made it so far. Now I can tell people I've been to the final round. I have been to Tower Club, ate at Equinox private dining room, and had high-class sandwich delivered to my office for lunch. And most importantly, I wrote emails in pencil.
Monday, January 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow. What a long post...
Don't worry la... at least some lessons have come out of it so far. And you learnt not to doodle on your face for so long in the morning. Hmm... will know tomorrow hor?
Post a Comment