EPISODE TWO: Wherein I ate Nose to Tail at St JohnAfter arriving at Heathrow, I hurriedly made my way to Barbican, at the London city centre to meet up with my dearest Bird. Glad that everything was a breeze after that incident at KLIA. My tired body cannot take anymore shocks and scares.
Was finally welcomed by Bird and her kind friend Yvonne. We went back to Yvonne's apartment where we will be staying for the night before heading down for the highlight of the day---dinner!
In a former smokehouse just north of Smithfield Market, St. John, serves British cuisine ofal style. [Ofal: those parts of the animal that are usually discarded. ] This should not fascinate us Chinese at all. Come on, pig's organ soup is served everywhere lor. But here we are talking about London and angmohs. Angmohs dun eat their fish served as a whole with the bones and all right? Apparently they do, here at St John!
The first picture on the top left corner shows fish with horseradish. Can't remember the name of the dish. Bird, your help is required. Small fish has edible bones, kinda like japanese shishamo. You eat it together with the white horseradish paste which is like angmoh wasabe.
Moving clockwise, we have the fish. Fresh and salty, nothing like the way we usually cook fish. I dunno how they cook it but it taste refreshing, and goes well with that vege and lemon.
Next, my favourite. Pigeon! I was a bit squeamish at first when I saw the bloodied meat. But when I get pass my first bite, I conclude its the best ang moh poultry I ever eaten. ( The roasted pigeon I had in Shanghai is still the best, but that pigeon is Chinese.) Its succulent and juicy, not with the blood but with this creamy sensation...argh how should I put it...My description is not doing justice to this dish! You just have to try it la.
Lastly, twin quails. They look really cute in the photo don't you think? Too bad I ate them. They are nice though. Hee.
Those of you who are drooling over the pictures, say thank you to Miss Birdie!!! She was the one who gave us all the chance to see all these. Thank you Birdie Girl for the treat!!!
Next up on episode three, we are going to Cardiff, the capital of Wales! This is where we are going to see our first castle and also rekindle our love with good ol' Harry Ramsden!

1 comment:
1) Its spitalfields market. =)
2) The small fish is Sprats, and it was served with horseraddish. Reallly really nice stuff.
3) The big fish is plaice. =)
4) Most welcome for the dinner. I really enjoyed it too.. heeehee
Post a Comment